This article is about the second television series. For other meanings, see Mission: Impossible.
This Mission: Impossible series is a continuation of the first series, which chronicles the missions of a team of secret American government agents known as the Impossible Missions Force (IMF). As was for most of the first series, Jim Phelps (played by Peter Graves) is the leader of the IMF team and remains so until the end of the series.
The series, which was filmed primarily in Australia, was commissioned as replacement programming when a writer's strike disrupted production of the upcoming 1988-1989 television season. The original plan was for the series to be a strict remake of the original series, adapting scripts from the original series and with a new cast playing roles like Phelps, Rollin Hand, Cinnamon Carter, etc. In pre-production, it was decided to instead create a new set of characters (though patterned after the original), with the exception of Phelps, who would now be played once again by Graves. Although several scripts from the original series were remade, the strike ended quickly enough that the series was able to move onto original stories.
Besides the presence of Phelps, continuity with the original series is maintained by having the character of Grant Collier be established as the son of Barney Collier (actor Phil Morris being also the real-life son of Greg Morris). Barney also appeared in several episodes, and Lynda Day George also reprised her original-series character Lisa Casey in one episode (the character's first name is first established in the 1988-90 series). The original IMF mission voice actor, Bob Johnson, also returned.
The series aired on the ABC network from October 1988 to February 1990, with two seasons and 35 episodes. Combined with the first series, the total episode count comes out to 206.
A game for the Nintendo Entertainment System based on the series was released in 1991.
Primary IMF Team
- Peter Graves as Jim Phelps (Seasons 1 to 2)
- Thaao Penghlis as Nicholas Black (Season 1 to 2)
- Tony Hamilton as Max Harte (Seasons 1 to 2)
- Phil Morris as Grant Collier (Seasons 1 to 2)
- Terry Markwell as Casey Randall (Season 1)
- Jane Badler as Shannon Reed (Season 1 to 2)
Other IMF Agents
- Greg Morris as Barney Collier (3 episodes)
- Lynda Day George as Lisa Casey (1 episode)
- Gavin Harrison as Kieron Taylor (1 episode)
- Vince Martin as Tom Copperfield (1 episode)
- Paula Goodman as Marilyn (1 episode)
- Chelsea Brown as Laura Ann Wilson (1 episode)
Other IMF Personnel
- Bob Johnson as Voice on Tape (uncredited; Seasons 1 to 2)
- John de Lancie as Matthew Drake
- Alan Cassell as Dr. Wolfgang Gerstner
- Parker Stevenson as Champ Foster
- James Shigeta as Ki
- Cesare Danova as Socrates Colonnades
- Barbara Luna as Emelia Berezan
- Richard Romanus as Arthur Six
- Maud Adams as Catherine Balzac
- David Cameron as Russel Acker
- Albert Salmi as Richard Kester
- Alex Cord as Daniel Travers