In order to remove a militarist from power and make him look like a traitor, Dan Briggs enlists the help of memory expert Joseph Baresh, who poses as an enemy agent with the code name "Sparrow."
- Steven Hill as Dan Briggs
- Barbara Bain as Cinnamon Carter
- Greg Morris as Barney Collier
- Peter Lupus as Willy Armitage
- Martin Landau as Rollin Hand
- Albert Paulsen as Joseph Baresh
- Leonard Stone as Dimitri Soska
- Eddie Carroll as Street Photographer
- William Keene as Janos Karq
- Heinz Brinkman as First Guard
- Gene Dynarski as Sgt. of Guard
on the back of a freelance photographer's card:
LUBJANKA MILITARY PRISON
Headquarters of DIMITRI SOSKA
Our investigations are to begin immediately. Proceed as per our previous instructions and report as soon as possible. - - Alternate plan X59.
(After reading it, Daniel Briggs destroys the card.)
- Janos Karq
- Dimitri Soska
An unnamed Balkan nation behind the Iron Curtain
Behind the scenes
"The Memory Mission" is the only Mission in which actor Albert Paulsen participated as an Impossible Missions Force agent; in all the other Missions in which he participated, his characters were mission targets or their allies. Himself a recovering alcoholic like his character of Joseph Baresh, he deliberately drank heavily the night before the scene that showed Daniel Briggs's briefing of the team was filmed, an instance where an acting role all but imposed a lapse in his sobriety. "In the morning I got up with red eyes and pretty groggy," he told Patrick J. White, proudly, when White was compiling The Complete "Mission: Impossible" Dossier. "You can see it. I'd go to any lengths to get it right."